A healthy economy needs a healthy steel industry providing employment and driving growth.
Steel is everywhere in our lives for a reason. Steel is the great collaborator, working together with all other materials to advance growth and development. Steel is the foundation of the last 100 years of progress. Steel will be equally fundamental to meeting the challenges of the next 100.
- Average world steel use per capita has steadily increased from 150kg in 2001 to 208kg in 2015, making the world more prosperous.
- Steel is used in every important industry; energy, construction, automotive and transportation, infrastructure, packaging and machinery.
- The steel industry is the second biggest industry in the world after oil and gas with an estimated global turnover of 900 billion USD.
- By 2050, steel use is projected to increase to be 1.5 times higher than present levels in order to meet the needs of our growing population.
- Skyscrapers are made possible by steel. The housing and construction sector is the largest consumer of steel today, using around 50% of steel produced.