Steelie Awards 2013: Sao Paulo, Brazil
The 4th Steelie awards ceremony took place at the farewell dinner to close the worldsteel annual conference, worldsteel-47, in São Paulo, Brazil on 8 October 2013.
Steel Industry website of the year
- Tata Steel
The 2013 winner in this category was voestalpine.
worldsteel activity of the year
- Finance and Administration department for sufficient costs savings
- Technology Committee for Maintenance and Reliability benchmarking process
- WorldAutoSteel for a successful start to replacing tail-pipe emission measurement with LCA measures in both the EU and USA.
The 2013 winner in this category was worldsteel the Finance and Administration department.
Innovation of the year
- ArcelorMittal Dofasco for KOBM automated steelmaking process
- Ezz Steel for doubling the average life of copper mould tubes
- NatSteel for application of Organic Rankine Cycle power generation from waste heat
- Ternium for improved refractories' life by managing use of external scrap
The 2013 winner in this category was ArcelorMittal Dosfasco.
Excellence in sustainability reporting
- ArcelorMittal for Sustain our Great Lakes (SOGL)
- China Steel Corporation for Green Transportation programme
- Gerdau for Let’s Clean Rapa Nui! (Easter Island)
The 2013 winner in this category was ArcelorMittal for Sustain our Great Lakes (SOGL).
Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment
- ArcelorMittal for steel as the sustainable material of choice in the automotive sector
- BlueScope for improving environmental sustainability of its product range: Next generation ZINCALUME® steel AM125 and COLORBOND® steel AM100
- Outokumpu for long-term work to promote life cycle thinking
- Ruukki for use of LCA in energy efficient products, Tata Steel for new product development sustainability assessment tool
The 2013 winner in this category was BlueScope Steel.
Excellence in Education and Training
- Tata Steel Europe
- ThyssenKrupp Steel Europe
The 2013 winner in this category was Tenaris.
Journalist of the year
- Vera Blei, Metal Bulletin
- Henry Cooke, Platts
- John Miller, Wall Street Journal
- Tim Smith, Steel Times International
- Ming Zhang, China Metallurgical News
The 2013 winner in this category was Henry Cooke, Platts.
Industry communicator of the year
- Ugur Dalbeler, Colakoglu Metalurji
- Tom Gibson, AISI
- André Gerdau Johannpeter, Gerdau
- Alexey Mordashov, Severstal
- Daniel Novegil, Ternium
The 2013 winner in this category was Tom Gibson, AISI