WHO WE ARE
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is a non-profit organisation with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. A second office in Beijing, China, opened in April 2006.
worldsteel is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
It was founded as the International Iron and Steel Institute on 10 July 1967. It changed its name to the World Steel Association on 6 October 2008. The association celebrated its 50th year anniversary in 2017.
- To act as the focal point for the steel industry providing global leadership on all major strategic issues impacting the industry, particularly focusing on economic, environmental and social sustainability
- Deliver benchmarking analysis and drive global improvement initiatives in the areas of environmental protection, technology, safety and people development
- Promote global market development opportunities for steel and promote steel to the world at large
- Provide on a timely basis world-class economic data and analysis on the global steel industry and its value chain, as well as assessments on life cycle aspects of steel
- Increase awareness, understanding and support for the steel industry amongst all external stakeholders and key target audiences worldwide
- Promote market competition that is free of government interventions preventing fair trade.
- Climate change and environment
- Education and training
- Life cycle assessment (LCA)
- Raw materials
- Safety and health
- Steel market analysis
To find out more about our activities, click here.
Our relationship with international organisations
worldsteel maintains relations with several international organisations, including: