Who we are
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) was founded as the International Iron and Steel Institute on 10 July 1967. It changed its name to the World Steel Association on 6 October 2008.
The association is celebrating its 50th year anniversary in 2017.
worldsteel is a non-profit organisation with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. A second office in Beijing, China, opened in April 2006.
worldsteel represents over 160 steel producers (including 9 of the world's 10 largest steel companies), national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. worldsteel members represent around 85% of world steel production.
- To act as the focal point for the steel industry providing global leadership on all major strategic issues impacting the industry, particularly focusing on economic, environmental and social sustainability
- Deliver benchmarking analysis and drive global improvement initiatives in the areas of environmental protection, technology, safety and people development
- Promote global market development opportunities for steel and promote steel to the world at large
- Provide on a timely basis world-class economic data and analysis on the global steel industry and its value chain, as well as assessments on life cycle aspects of steel
- Increase awareness, understanding and support for the steel industry amongst all external stakeholders and key target audiences worldwide
- Promote market competition that is free of government interventions preventing fair trade
Our activities focus on:
- Climate change
- Life cycle assessment
- Raw materials
- Safety and health
- Steel market analysis
- Technology and environment.
To find out more about our activities click here.