The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
Membership has increased steadily since worldsteel (formerly the International Iron and Steel Institute) was founded in 1967.
worldsteel’s mission is to:
- promote the steel industry and steel as a material
- find global solutions to the environmental challenge identify and analyse important megatrends
- encourage alignment between regional and national steel associations.
Who can become a member?
There are 2 categories of worldsteel membership:
Regular members consist of companies having raw steel production and operate as independent commercial enterprises. State-controlled companies must be free to make their own economic and investment decisions and operate in a market-based economy.
Any association or federation of steel producers and any technical society or institute concerned with matters affecting the steel industry.
As a member you will be able to:
- Access the worldsteel extranet, a password-protected website available exclusively to members that provide details of all our programmes, activities and campaigns.
- Benefit from worldsteel’s member-only data, reports, publications, case studies and authoritative works on specialist subjects including the latest technical and economic data on industry trends and performance affecting the global steel industry.
- Become involved at an international level in common market development programmes and initiatives.
- Network with other steel industry professionals from around the world at meetings, events and conferences organised by worldsteel.
- Join major industry-wide working parties, expert groups and committees in worldsteel.
- Send high-potential employees as Fellows to worldsteel to work on specific projects and gain knowledge of the industry at a global level.
The association exerts no pressure or politics on its members. worldsteel is not involved in competitive issues between steel companies.