Steel cares for its community.
We care about the health and well-being of both the people who work with us and live around us. Steel is local – we touch people’s lives and make them better. We create jobs, we build a community, we drive a local economy for the long term.
- For 2016, the steel industry reported distributing 1,029 billion USD to society directly and indirectly, including around 100 billion USD in tax revenue.
- Many steel companies build roads, transport systems, schools and hospitals in the areas around their sites.
- In developing countries, steel companies are often more directly involved in the provision of healthcare services and education for the wider community.
- Once established, steel plant sites operate for decades, providing long-term stability in terms of employment, community benefits and economic growth.
- Steel companies generate jobs and substantial tax revenues which benefit the local communities in which they operate.