São Paulo, 9 October 2013 – The World Steel Association (worldsteel) hosted its fourth 'Steelie' Awards ceremony at the farewell dinner to close the 47th annual steel industry conference. The trophies were awarded in eight categories.
The categories, nominations and winners were:
1. Steel Industry Website of the Year: voestalpine
(Final nominations: ArcelorMittal, Gerdau, SSAB, Tata Steel, voestalpine).
2. worldsteel Activity of the Year: Finance and Administration
(Final nominations: Finance and Administration Department for sufficient costs savings, TECO for Maintenance and Reliability benchmarking process, WorldAutoSteel for a successful start to replacing tail-pipe emission measurement with LCA measures in both the EU and USA).
3. Innovation of the Year: ArcelorMittal Dofasco
(Final nominations: Arcelormittal Dofasco- KOBM automated steelmaking process, Ezz Steel for doubling the average life of copper mould tubes, NatSteel for the application of Organic Rankine Cycle power generation from waste heat, Ternium for improved refectories' life by managing use of external scrap).
4. Excellence in Sustainability: ArcelorMittal
(Final nominations: ArcelorMittal for Sustain our Great Lakes (SOGL), China Steel Corporation for Green Transportation programme, Gerdau for Let’s Clean Rapa Nui! (Easter Island)).
5. Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment: BlueScope
(Final nominations: ArcelorMittal for steel as the sustainable material of choice in the automotive sector, BlueScope for improving environmental sustainability of its product range: Next generation ZINCALUME® steel AM125 and COLORBOND® steel AM100, Outokumpu for long-term work to promote life cycle thinking, Ruukki for use of LCA in energy efficient products, Tata Steel for new product development sustainability assessment tool).
6. Excellence in Education and Training: Tenaris
(Final nominations: Gerdau, Severstal, Tenaris, Tata Steel Europe, ThyssenKrupp Steel Europe).
7. Journalist of the Year: Henry Cooke
(Final nominations: Vera Blei, Metal Bulletin, Henry Cooke, Platts, John Miller, WSJ, Tim Smith, Steel Times International, Ming Zhang, China Metallurgical News).
8. Industry Communicator of the Year: Tom Gibson
(Final nominations: Ugur Dalbeler, Colakoglu Metalurji, Tom Gibson, AISI, André Gerdau Johannpeter, Gerdau, Alexey Mordashov, Severstal, Daniel Novegil, Ternium).
The Steelies winners were selected through nominations by member companies to the relevant worldsteel committees followed by a final selection by expert panels. Journalist of the Year and Communicator of the Year were selected by direct vote. Photos are available here.
Notes to Editors:
• The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world. worldsteel represents approximately 170 steel producers (including 17 of the world's 20 largest steel companies), national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. worldsteel members represent around 85% of world steel production.