The World Steel Association (worldsteel) hosted its sixth Steelie Awards ceremony and announced the winners at the annual dinner of the 49th worldsteel conference in Chicago on 12 October. The trophies, known as Steelies, were awarded in seven categories.
Edwin Basson, Director General of worldsteel said: “steel is a truly innovative material necessary for society to survive and advance. It is very important that the industry continuously innovates and evolves to meet existing and future challenges for a sustainable future. I believe recognition for creative ideas and dedicated efforts leads to progress and improvement which will help the industry to remain sustainable. The Steelie Awards recognise member companies or individuals for their contribution to the steel industry in seven categories, covering areas from technology and environment, to communications and education. Congratulations to all the winners and their accomplishment. We are very proud of you.”
The categories and winners were:
- Steel Industry website of the year: TMK (www.tmk-group.com)
- Innovation of the year: POSCO for lean duplex stainless steel with super ductility using a strip-casting process
- Excellence in sustainability: ArcelorMittal for their 10 sustainable development outcomes
- Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment: Tata Steel Europe for the use of LCA to demonstrate the impact of the reuse of steel in a world class circular economy building in Holland
- Excellence in education and training: Tata Steel Europe for developing a blended learning course for young people transitioning to management
- Journalist of the year: Joseph Innace (Platts)
- Industry communicator of the year: John Ferriola (Nucor)
The selection process for nominations varies between awards. In most cases nominations are requested via the appropriate membership committee and the worldsteel extranet. Entries are then judged by selected expert panels using agreed performance criteria. Journalist of the year and communicator of the year are selected by direct vote.
Photos are available click here. For more detailed information on the Steelie Awards, click here.
# Ends #
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world. worldsteel members represent approximately 85% of the world's steel production, including 170 steel producers with 9 of the 10 largest steel companies, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes.