The winners of the 7th Steelie Awards were announced at the Annual Dinner of the World Steel Association (worldsteel). The Steelie Awards recognise member companies or individuals for their contribution to the steel industry over a one-year period in a series of categories impacting the steel industry. The first Steelie Awards ceremony took place in 2010 in Tokyo.
The categories and winners for 2016 are:
- Steel industry website of the year: thysssenkrupp AG (www.thyssenkrupp.com)
- Innovation of the year: JSW Steel Limited for development of advanced high strength automotive steels with speed and innovation
- Excellence in sustainability: Hesteel Group Co., Ltd. (Tangsteel) for urban recycled water as the only water source in iron and steel production
- Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment: thyssenkrupp Steel Europe for implementation of LCA to assess the potential environmental performance and recyclability in their product development process
- Excellence in education and training: Tenaris for their Development Maintenance Programme
- Journalist of the year: Vera Blei, Metal Bulletin
- Industry communicator of the year: Naveen Jindal, Chairman, Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL)
The selection process for nominations varies between awards. In most cases nominations are requested via the appropriate membership committee and the worldsteel extranet. Entries are then judged by selected expert panels using agreed performance criteria.
Photos of the winners are available here. Click here for more information on the Steelie Awards.
# Ends #
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world. worldsteel members represent approximately 85% of the world's steel production, including over 150 steel producers with 9 of the 10 largest steel companies, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes.