Below is a ranking of the 50 top steel-producing companies. This list is updated in early June every year.
An extended listing of top steel producers 2019/2020 is available from the PDF under the table.
Tonnage is expressed in million tonnes (Mt).
|1||China Baowu Group (1)||115.29|
|3||HBIS Group (3)||43.76|
|5||Nippon Steel Corporation (4)||41.58|
|10||Shandong Steel Group||31.11|
|11||Delong Steel Group||28.26|
|12||Tata Steel Group||28.07|
|18||IMIDRO (5) (e)||18.90|
|22||Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK)||15.75|
|24||Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL)||14.97|
|28||China Steel Corporation||14.11|
|37||Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works (MMK)||11.57|
|38||United States Steel Corporation||11.55|
|42||Donghai Special Steel||10.88|
|49||Steel Dynamics, Inc.||8.40|
(1) Includes 2020 tonnage of Taiyuan Steel and Kunming Steel, and tonnage of Maanshan Steel and Chongqing Steel, both part of China Baowu Group from 2019
(2) Includes 60% in AM/NS India (former Essar Steel)
(3) Includes tonnage of Serbia Iron & Steel d.o.o. Beograd and MAKSTIL A.D. in Macedonia
(4) Includes Nippon Steel Stainless Steel Corporation, Sanyo Special Steel, Ovako, 40% AM/NS India and 31.2% USIMINAS
(5) Estimated combined tonnage of Mobarrakeh Steel, Esfahan Steel, Khuzestan Steel and NISCO
Notes on company ownership and tonnage calculations: For worldsteel members, the data was sourced from their official tonnage declarations. For Chinese companies, the official CISA tonnage publication was used, unless especially noted. In case of more than 50% ownership, 100% of the subsidiary’s tonnage is included, unless specified otherwise. In cases of 30%-50% ownership, pro-rata tonnage is included. Unless otherwise specified in the declaration, less than 30% ownership is considered a minority and therefore, not included. Figures represent ownership ending 31 December 2020.