This programme recognises worldsteel member companies that have made a significant effort in their sustainability activities.
Sustainability is a core business requirement, vital to a company’s continuing license to operate. And an ethically and socially responsible approach can act as a competitive advantage for forward-thinking steel companies.
worldsteel coordinates an industry-wide sustainability recognition programme to encourage steel companies to increase their efforts, set higher standards and make further progress. worldsteel believes that the programme is an effective vehicle to demonstrate stronger commitment and proactive engagement of the industry to sustainable development.
- To have a holistic picture of the sustainability effort of the industry and steel companies around the world.
- To demonstrate stronger commitment and proactive engagement of the steel industry.
- To go beyond participation-only recognition – looking at commitment, measurement, and actions all together.
- To encourage steel companies to aim higher and do more in their sustainability activities.
How can a company qualify?
The criteria to become a Steel Sustainability Champion:
Companies must sign up to the worldsteel sustainable development charter .
Companies must provide data on 6 of the worldsteel Sustainability Indicators (Material efficiency, Environmental management system, Lost time injury frequency rate, Employee training, Investment in new processes and products, Economic value distributed) and submit Life Cycle Inventory data to worldsteel’s data collection programme (data should cover more than 50% of the company’s crude steel production and should be less than 5 years old).
Companies must publish a sustainability-related report and must be shortlisted in one of the 5 categories of the worldsteel Steelie Awards (Innovation of the year, Excellence in sustainability, Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment, Excellence in education and training, and Excellence in Communications programmes) or must be recognised in the Safety and Health recognition programme.
- Steel companies must be a member of worldsteel. Both regular and associate members are eligible for the recognition
- Companies must fulfil all the requirements in the three criteria
- Evaluation for eligibility will be closed at the end of November each year
- Eligible companies will be recognised at the April board meeting in the following year
- Recognition is valid for one year only. Evaluation for eligibility takes place every year.
The 2017 Sustainability Champions are:
Photos of the CEOs representing the 2017 Sustainability Champions are available here.
More details are available on the worldsteel extranet (members only).